Redline Urbis – Update

Image from Redline Bicycles - Please Visit Their Site.

Image from Redline Bicycles - Please Visit Their Site.

Last week, Urban Velo introduced the Redline Urbis and I was more than excited about this. Redline is a brand that I’ve always desired  from my childhood riding days. In my opinion, they’re not a company that thrives on pushing the latest cycling bling, but rather ol’ school, down-to-earth innovation mixed with a rock solid bicycling legacy.

The Urbis is a new bike that proves this. Mixing the trend of fixed geared biking with their proven BMX heritage, the Urbis appears to be carving a new niche for urban cycling enthusiasts. What I find interesting with this bike is the use of a single disk brake in the front, connected by a cable that goes THROUGH the steerer tube – something a free-stylist might appreciate. Although having a disk brake may rub a fixie purists the wrong way, I find it nice.

Looks like the suggested retail will be $750. Being a budget conscious person, it seems a bit high for me. HOWEVER, even though freestyle is way outside of my riding capabilities, I still want one.

Image From Redline Bicycles - Please Visit Their Site

Image From Redline Bicycles - Please Visit Their Site

Here is a quick intro video.

UPDATE: 12/09/09

Bike Commuters has reported some updated info on the Urbis, including a new price point of $549.99 to $599.99.

Urban Velo has reported: the fork has been lowered and they’ve decided to go with with the deep dish rims. The bike will come fixed with a flip-flop hub so the customer can put a freewheel on it if desired. A rear brake will be included, but not installed.

NEW UPDATE: Click here to see a new pic and some specs.

September 29, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Posted in Cool Bikes

Tagged with , ,

1. Say, are those Stu Thomsen handlebars?

glug

September 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm

• According to their intro video, they are “Redline low-rise cruiser bars from their Jr. BMX Cruiser line.” They made no reference to Stu.

September 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm

2. Dude, that bike is so rad! Only thing is I simply don’t want a fixie — I’d want it as a single speed. I have been seriously considering a single speed 26″ BMX cruiser type bike.

bibliosk8

October 4, 2009 at 9:53 pm

• I totally hear you about the fixie. I’m a freewheel guy, myself.

I’m actually going to look into changing out the gearing on the Monocog to be a bit more street friendly. Some new bars and some 29″ slicks, and I’m set.

October 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm

• This bike comes with a flip-flop hub so you can choose fixed or freewheel.

Dirtyknuckle

October 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm

• Awesome, Dirtyknuckle! Thanks for the info about the hubs. I was looking at the pics and it didn’t appear to be the typical swap hub that I’ve seen on other bikes.

Good to know.

October 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm

3. Nice! Do you have any information about the tire size?

Michael

October 15, 2009 at 3:35 am

4. […] may have read some stuff about the Redline Urbis here and here. I just received a link from one of our readers showing that it’s now on the Redline site. […]