Premium Rush – New Bike Movie In Theaters January 13, 2012

Image © Sony Pictures Please Visit The Official Movie Site

Image © Sony Pictures Please Visit The Official Movie Site

There’s a new bike movie coming out on January 13, 2012. It’s called Premium Rush. Here is a description from Youtube:

Dodging speeding cars, crazed cabbies, open doors, and eight million cranky pedestrians is all in a day’s work for Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the best of New York’s agile and aggressive bicycle messengers. It takes a special breed to ride the fixie — super lightweight, single-gear bikes with no brakes and riders who are equal part skilled cyclists and suicidal nutcases who risk becoming a smear on the pavement every time they head into traffic.

But a guy who’s used to putting his life on the line is about to get more than even he is used to when a routine delivery turns into a life or death chase through the streets of Manhattan. When Wilee picks up his last envelope of the day on a premium rush run, he discovers this package is different. This time, someone is actually trying to kill him.

Looks like it’ll be this generation’s Quicksilver, with some better suspense, action and cooler bike stunts. Hopefully, it’ll have a better soundtrack as well.

Update: According to IMDB, it looks like the movie release was pushed to August 2012.

Check out the trailer:

September 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm

1. I can see it coming outlaw cyclist movies. Marlon Brando with a fixie.

September 18, 2011 at 2:07 am

2. I have a crush on Gordon-Levitt, so I would watch it because of him. But, I have to admit that my days of working downtown and being looked down upon by delivery guys/girls leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Lisa

September 19, 2011 at 6:35 am

• I hear what you are saying although I haven’t met too many bike messengers in person. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

On that note, I do wish Hollywood wouldn’t glamour-ize the ‘implied’ scofflaws of cycling so much. I wonder what kind of message that is sending? However, I must admit they do make it better and more dramatic for action/suspense movies. It probably wouldn’t be so exciting if the protagonist signaled his turns, made complete stops and obeyed all the traffic laws. ;)

September 19, 2011 at 8:39 am

• Good point about glamorizing the scofflaws. Not setting a good example for younger riders. On the other hand, maybe it will foster more awareness about dooring. ;)

Lisa

September 20, 2011 at 6:29 am

3. [...] always on the lookout for bike related movies. Since Premium Rush got delayed from January to August, I thought I would write about another movie. While flipping [...]

4. I haue gotta see this movie. I saw a t.v. commercial about it and it looks good. Probably ten years late for a good flick. Has anyone else seen it? I really hope it isn’t some slop job. Kinda mellow.

sean