Video Of A New Bike Lane In Richardson

December 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Posted in Richardson

Tagged with , , ,

1. […] Video on Suburban Assault. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)New Bike Lanes On Waterview DriveWelcome Bike […]

2. Very interesting, especially the stop sign 2 minutes into the video. It’s heartening to see the videographer stop there. Since the lane dashes before the stop, I presume it is legal for a cyclist to merge into the traffic lane prior to the stop and then back into the bike lane afterwards? Its what I would do, because I am paranoid about motorists turning right across my path.

Looking at Google street view, it appears they added the stripe to a wide outside lane that periodically had the third lane added as a RT lane. Is that correct? Also, is traffic typically as nonexistent as in the video?

December 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

3. The second stop was a lame attempt to hold a balance on the bike while holding and maintaining a level camera – all while going uphill. I guess I should learn to walk and chew gum before attempting a video without a proper camera mount.

Although it isn’t justifiable, even though the camera was facing forward, I was checking all directions. This road is extremely light with auto traffic on Sunday mornings. In fact, it’s almost non-existent. In spite of what you see, I have been working at holding more complete stops.

As far as your question goes about rolling into the traffic lane. As far as I know, cyclists aren’t required to ride in the bike lane. The lanes are there as a courtesy to those who want to use them, as well as an attempt to slow down neighborhood traffic.

You are correct. The bike lane is essentially what used to be the third, right lane. The other bike lanes in Richardson have been created from the right lane of two-lane roads.

December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm

4. No sarcasm was intended about the stop. I hope you will follow up and report on whether the lane is effective in increasing ridership.

December 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm

5. is it a sunday?! so nice and calm – luv that new friend of yours on the bike lane, squirrels are so adorable.
    like how large in width this is. would this be used by more bikers? let’s hope such nice wide bike lanes and flat routes encourage more people to get on their bikes and go
    cheers from sf xxomeli

meligrosa

December 5, 2010 at 5:24 pm

6. Watch out for those kamikaze squirrels!!

Adam W