Mission Accomplished – One Tank Of Gas Saved

One tank of gas

As I’ve become more confident on my bike, I decided to ride it more to work this summer. Starting the season with Bike To Work Week in May, I decided to ride the equivalent in miles of, at least, one full tank of gas. I drive an older MINI Cooper, which usually gets about 360 (city) miles on my normal commute. My only rule was the ride had to replace a typical trip that I would have normally taken in my car. This meant that some of my fun Suburban Assaults on the weekend, could not be counted.

This last commute on Friday brought me over the 360 mile mark.

Although my accomplishment this season is nothing compared to what some of the seasoned bike commuters are doing, I am pretty proud of myself for sticking with it during one of the hottest summers in north Texas. Getting close to a record streak, we’ve had over 35, consecutive 100+ degree days – so most of my commuting was done in unbearable heat.

PGB - Ohio Drive Underpass

I’m not finished. I’ll probably keep doing the bike commutes to work until I run out of daylight. As autumn rolls in, the sun will rise later and set earlier. Given the odd hours and long days that I work, this would push my commute into the dark hours. That is yet, another hurdle to get over.

Ride Home

August 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

1. You should feel proud. Feels good, eh?

August 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

2. Congrats on persevering in the face of the weather. Commuting in the dark isn’t so bad depending on your route and adequate lighting for the conditions.

tuckamoredew

August 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

• I like riding at night. It’s getting it past my wife that is my biggest hurdle.

August 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

3. Just came across your blog. How far is your commute? I’ve been trying to find a suitable route to get from McKinney (near 75) to Richardson (also near 75).

Paul

August 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm

• Thanks for visiting the blog. My commute is about 13.7 miles each way. I really wish I could help you with that route.

August 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm

• How long does that take you on average?

Paul

August 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm

• An hour of actual riding, but the trip is about an hour and fifteen minutes, with lights and stop signs

August 6, 2011 at 10:45 pm

4. Congrats! Lots to be proud of especially in that crazy weather & traffic. Bravo!

Jo Duran

August 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm

5. Wow, that is phenomenal considering this extreme heat. Congratulations.

Fleetwood

August 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm

6. […] is it in north Texas? Some of you may know that I’m a glutton for 100+ degree punishment with my afternoon commutes from work. However, there aren’t very many of us. Plus, how practical is it to make a quick 5 […]

7. I find my night riding to be as safe as my day riding, if you consider 5:30 a.m. night… It’s actually safer than leaving home at 7:00 a.m., but it’s pitch dark for a good 45 minutes now. I have a fixed Serfas 250 light on my handlebar, a small white blinky light also on my handlebars, and another Serfas 250 on my helmet… The helmet light let’s me see around bends better, and things off to the side (wherever my head turns to look). On the back I have 4 Planet Bike Superflash Blinkies (red) that light up my behind like a Xmas tree… I have them as follows: one on the back of my helmet (to balance the Serfas 250 on top), another on the seatpost, and one down low on each seat stay, so I have them spaced far enough apart so that drivers won’t think that they are seeing some lights at infinity, and get a good perspective on how far off I am from them… Also, there is so much blinking going on that some drivers think I am a police cruiser, and I see some drivers ducking out to side streets before they get to me! (Probably afraid that they’re going to get pulled over ahead, like at a checkpoint…). Any who, much less traffic real early in the morning, and more polite drivers… no late-nics rushing to get to work before they get fired… So, I find my daily commute of 15 miles each way to be considerably safer than driving roads like George Bush and Dallas North Tollway… (I’ve almost been pancaked on those…)
    You all take care out there!
    Howard

Howard Maher

August 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

8. […] gone from a full-time car commuter, to replacing enough trips by bike this summer to save a tank of gas. My plan is to continue with more bike commutes in my […]