Short Trips Made By Bike – In Texas

Super Target Garland

I participate in the CLIF Bar 2-Mile Challenge. According to them, “40% of all urban travel in the US happens within 2 miles of where people live? 90% of that travel is by car!” Also, “25% of the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions come from motor vehicles.”

Making small trips by bike is a great way to live – in theory, but how realistic is it during the summer in north Texas? Some of you may know that I’m a glutton for 100+ degree punishment with my afternoon commutes from work. However, there aren’t very many of us. Plus, how practical is it to make a quick 5 mile (round trip) run to the local Super Target, when you end up drenched in sweat each time?

Well, if you plan your tips for the evening or morning, it’s a little more doable. Sure, it’s not the same as riding in the comfort of your air conditioned car, nor can you haul very much on a typical bike. However, when the right type of trip comes up at the right time, you should think about making it by bike. Every little bit helps.

August 7, 2011 at 11:27 am

1. Yeah, it’s rough in this heat, for sure. Not everyone who rides is really fit for riding in this kind of heat, even if only for 5 miles. I am happy to have a grocery store about 500 feet from our front door, so it’s not too bad!

Bob Loftin

August 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

2. Doing errands by bike also gets one a bit of exercise and makes what would normally be a chore into a much more rewarding experience.

Jenny R

August 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

3. Unless your car is in a garage, it will take more than 2 miles in our heat to become comfortable. One other trivia item – the car pollutes a lot more per mile on those short trips. Cars run pretty clean on a freeway.

August 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

4. From what I’ve been reading about going car-free, one will probably do quite a bit fewer ‘quick’ trips, and make more judicious use of one’s time… I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone back and forth to the hardware store while working on a project because it was easy to get in the car and go… I’m sure I would have planned better if I was traveling by bike. With that said, however, I don’t want to be lathering up with sunscreen for afternoon trips all the time, nor do I find it very enjoyable to ride in 105+ heat… granted our 100 degree weather lasts only xx days, maybe 50 in a row :-). It’s just hard in north TX to do our errands by bike in the middle of the day… We’ll have to do more things early or late, and take a siesta in the heat of the day!

Howard Maher

August 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

5. Other than the grocery store, other locations are lacking a suitable place to lock my bike. I’ve thought about install my own on night 😉

Paul