You Get What You Pay For – Cheap Sunglasses

You Get What You Pay For

I’m probably one of the cheapest people out there when it comes to buying bike clothing. If I own any clothing made specifically for cycling, it was purchased on sale – most likely on clearance.

Don’t get me wrong. I like bike clothing (btw, I’m not just referring to spandex and lycra. I could never pull off tight bike shorts – but that’s another blog post.). I also appreciate the science that goes into them: special quick drying micro-fibers, special padding and reinforcements, rider fitted cuts and stitching.

I just can’t afford them.

The same goes for my eyewear. Instead of investing in the latest/lightest biking glasses, you’ll find me at my local Walmart looking for the cheapest pair that’ll fit me. I got these for $5. Cheap, but they didn’t even last me the summer. Even so, with the huge price difference of most high-end glasses, it might be worth staying this route.

However, it’s not very ‘green’ using multiple cheap glasses to replace just one good pair. More importantly, if these guys seem to break with the slightest amount of force or a simple drop to the ground, they might not be as protective to my eyes as they should. That’s something I shouldn’t compromise with.

Perhaps, I’ll start looking at a good pair of mid-range glasses. Any suggestions?

August 22, 2011 at 5:54 am

1. I got a pair of Sunclouds at REI for around $15 that are going on two years of polarized goodness. I did spend the extra $6 to get the croakies strap, which keeps me from dropping them…

Thomas

August 22, 2011 at 6:16 am

2. Performance bike ff 75/Walnut Hill had some really nice cycling sunglasses that were around $20. My husband likes them

Serena

August 22, 2011 at 6:52 am

3. I’m pretty cheap as well. The last couple pair of sunglasses I purchased were from the REI outlet. They usually have some pretty good deals.

Myles/ rattrappress

August 22, 2011 at 7:01 am

4. Second REI outlet. If you’re a member they send coupons pretty regularly. Lifetime membership costs $25 and members can also go to the REI garage sale twice a year to score floor models and such. You also get a discount on bike service, though I’ve never gotten my bike worked on there so I can’t speak to the quality of their bike repairs.

Jenny R.

August 22, 2011 at 8:04 am

5. Do you need prescription at all? I’ve purchased prescription driving glasses from http://www.zennioptical.com They have nice bendy titanium arms and they cost all of $30. I’m also thinking of trying http://www.goggles4u.com.

BTW: Reading your self-description about how you shop was like looking in a mirror. 🙂

Jay

August 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

6. THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!! I’ll look into all these options.

August 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm