Redline Bicycles Changes Their Metro Series For 2012

2012 Redline METRO Classic © Redline Bicycles

2012 Redline METRO Sport © Redline Bicycles

I think that I’ve already established that I am a Redline Bicycles fan boy. I’m even a bigger fan of their METRO Series. That’s why I’m posting about some changes in that series, which I think are an improvement.

First the biggest change. They’ve gone from a lineup of 3 bikes in 2011, METRO 9, METRO Sport and METRO Disc, to just 2 for 2012: METRO Classic and METRO Sport. The next obvious change is that they’ve gone from the flat and riser bars to all drop bars. To me, this was a nice surprise – mostly because I’ve been looking for a cheap touring/road bike. Until now, I was interested in their 2011 Conquest Sport – which wasn’t added to their 2012 lineup.

Another plus for me is that the METRO Series offers a 4130 Double Butted Chromoly option with their Classic – not available in the Conquest Sport (which was aluminum). I know steel isn’t the lightest, most ideal material for bikes, but I’m a huge fan of how strong and amazingly durable 4130 is. If you want something lighter, the METRO Sport comes in 6061 Double Butted Alloy aluminum.

The new 2012 METRO Classic comes set up with Shimano Tiagra components, reliable and smooth without the huge price tag. This replaces the SRAM X5 on the 2011 METRO 9 model. The 2012 Sport comes with Shimano 2300, which I’ve read is a lower end group (also used on the 2011 Conquest Sport).

Both new models are set up with disc brakes, Avid BB5 for the Classic and ProMax for the Sport.

So far, I haven’t been able to find any pricing for the new 2012 lineup. As with most of the Redline commuter bikes, I hope that these new models will be priced on the low end.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 am

1. I have only bought one new bike – but these are making me consider buying another.

If I do that, I’ll need to find a reason to keep my current commuter. I bet I can figure something out…

Justin

September 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

2. Also look into the Fuji cross bikes for comparison. A guy at work got one and it was impressive value for money.

September 6, 2011 at 10:37 pm

3. My understanding is that the cost of the 2012 classic drops to $1050 (down from $1150)

alittlek

September 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm

4. Where can I get one in the Beaverton Oregon area?

Peter

November 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm

• The Newberg Bike Shop. I’ll be picking up a Metro Sport there any day now when it comes in

ThatGuyMatt

December 11, 2012 at 2:51 am

5. I’m a newbie to bikes. Looking for a commuter/exercise bike that can handle ‘tougher’ terrain, hills, and less sensitive/aggressive than road bikes. My choices came down to these two ( redline metro sport vs the classic). I rode the sport and really liked it. I was pointed to the classic as a better option by the sells-man. Both were originally out of my price range. Now the classic feels a very high for me. Plus the orange is not really inconspicuous, which isnt my style.

How much is the difference between the two, and is the price for the upgrade really worth it, long-term?

thanks

soufiane

July 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

• For me it starts off with comfort. If you don’t like the fit, you won’t ride it. Style is as important. You’ve got to love it to want to ride it.

Next, I like to think about good components over anything else. The better the component, the longer it will last and the easier it is to maintain. I’ve got a set of Shimano LX components on my old mountain bike that are 15 years old and still rock solid.

If Redline isn’t a great fit, you might want to look at some of the Raleigh offerings out there. The Roper and Port Townsend are pretty nice options.

July 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm