I’m Thinking About A Name Change

When I chose the name Suburban Assault, it was derived from an old term a buddy of mine used back in our mountain bike days. Whenever he wanted to take the bikes for a ride around downtown, he’d ask if I wanted to do an “Urban Assault”. I’m sure he didn’t come up with the term, but it stuck with me. As the years passed and I’ve moved back out to the suburbs, it seemed appropriate to run with the term Suburban Assault for my rides around the neighborhood.

Obviously, if you’ve read my blog, my scope has gone beyond the suburbs and I focus more on the aspect of exploring one’s neighborhood or surroundings – suburban, urban or rural – by bike.

After doing this blog for a while, I’m thinking about a name change.

I still like the term ‘suburban’ because it feels like a niche in the biking world, especially after discovering that 50% of the metropolitan population lives outside the central city. Plus, there are plenty of other, much better, blogs about biking in cites and urban areas.

The word ‘assault’ is what I’m waffling on. I like how it contrasts the safe and ordinary tone of ‘suburban’, giving it a more contemporary feel. However, I don’t like the ‘first impression’ negative tone that it implies. Plus, there is a disconnect when it comes to a blog about non-sport cycling.

I’m considering a name change to “Suburban Bike” –  suburbanbike.org – which I’ve registered. With this new name, I still hold true to my suburban core, but add the more obvious description of this blog’s main focus right in the name. Plus, it has a more positive spin (pardon the pun) for a bike blog.

So, what do you think? Should I:

– Keep rolling with Suburban Assault?
– Make the change and go with Suburban Bike?
– Do a compromise and run with both url’s leading to the same blog (I’d probably update the logo with this option)?

Please, vote below and post your thoughts in the comment section.

September 22, 2011 at 5:45 am

1. If you were to change to Suburban Bike, I really believe the site could fade more than shine. Suburban Bike sounds like the name of a sad little shop in far north suburbia that sells mediocre road bikes to families with 2.4 kids and a white picket fence. I am not trying to say that being in suburbia is bad (that’s where I live for goodness sake), but rather that the slight bit of edge in the title keeps life more interesting, and is what made me look at the flickr feed in the first place. To ride a bike in my part of the world is an act of defiance against the status quo, and assault against the status quo is exactly what I’d like to make every time I swing my leg over the top tube and head out toward the world.

Thomas

September 22, 2011 at 6:29 am

• Thanks for your input, Thomas. It’s nice to get an objective point of view.

September 22, 2011 at 7:39 am

2. I agree with Thomas, Suburban Assault is a much more attention grabbing name. If you don’t like the Assault part and since you do more street riding… Suburban Asphalt?

Rob

September 22, 2011 at 8:24 am

• It’s not that I don’t like the Assault part. I just wasn’t sure how other folks are perceiving the name – you should see some of the google hits to the word ‘assault’ LOL.

I guess I was worried that ‘assault’ might turn new ‘bike friendly’ viewers away, but it looks like (by the poll results and now the comments) that people are good with it.

Thanks for the name suggestion.

September 22, 2011 at 8:39 am

3. Suburban Bike is weak. Suburban Assault lacks the bike connection, just as dfwptp lacks a bike connection. The answer? Suburban Bike Assault. Go for it. It keeps continuity while better identifying your focus.

September 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

• My wife told me to do the same thing. Thanks for the input.

September 23, 2011 at 6:16 am

4. I admit that I had to move past the name to realize what the content of the blog was when I first stumbled upon it. I have to agree with the other commenters, though– I’m not feeling Suburban Bike as a good name.

Lisa

September 22, 2011 at 5:53 pm

5. Suburban assault is a cool name and it gives you flexibility to incorporate many related topics.

Chris

September 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

6. I like “Suburban Assault” but I see the negative association of the word. There are many other possibilities that have a similar feeling of challenging the status quo but perhaps they too will have negative associations. Here are a few:

advance, blitz, charge, offensive, onslaught, rush, strike, storm.

I like onslaught as it lacks the intimation of individual violence.

tuckamoredew

September 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

• Oh, and choosing between “Suburban Assault” and “Suburban Bike” I say stick with assault.

tuckamoredew

September 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

7. My first impression is I’m not against changing from Assault (although I admit I quite like it) but I thought Suburban Bike very Caspar Milquetoast.

Ian

September 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm

8. Keep the current name. I like it, and I think people get it. Don’t want to damage your brand name this far into the game!

Jeff Moser

September 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm

9. […] Last week, I had a brain fart and wondered if I should start making adjustments to my blog to make it more new-user friendly. The first of which was changing the name to Suburban Bike. […]