I’ve Added A Kickstand

It's The Little Things

You’re probably wondering why I’m posting about something as simple as a kickstand. It’s because I’ve come full circle with my need for one. Back in my mountain bike days, the last thing I wanted on my bike was any extra weight – therefore no kickstand. In fact, most quality trail bikes – including my ’93 Diamondback Apex – came without them. Plus, having a kickstand was considered an uncool accessory of a novice rider.

Even as I’ve been converting my old mountain bike to a daily commuter, adding a kickstand was not on the list of upgrades. Well, as you may have noticed, I take a bunch of pictures of my bike. I got tired of trying to find a place to lean my bike or having to lay it on the ground. Given the type of utility cyclist that I’ve become, I’ve overcome my unfair perception of the kickstand’s stigma and decided to add one.

I picked up this basic side mounted kickstand at REI for $7.

My original goal was to get a centered-mounted double kickstand, mostly to keep the bike balanced when fully loaded. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find one locally, at a good price. A cheaper online option is most unlikely, since I’m concerned about fit. I don’t want to have something shipped, only to find out the dimensions of my old mountain bike frame doesn’t accommodate that type of kickstand. I hate paying to ship things back. I’ll eventually upgrade once I find the right one. For now, this ol’school side mount will have to work for me.

I’m loving the incredible convenience – that I once knew as a kid – of parking my bike anywhere.

December 11, 2011 at 6:00 am

Posted in General Cycling

Tagged with

1. I’m so sorry!

December 11, 2011 at 7:34 am

2. I asked Santa to bring me three kickstands this year, the dual ones like Jenny uses on her red mixte. Come on Santa, I’m counting on you!

Biking In Dallas

December 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

3. Richard,

Would you like to try out one of my double foot kickstands on your bike to see if it works out? I have one bike in “dry dock” right now so it’s no problem to take the kickstand off that one.

jennyrilling

December 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

• Thanks, Jenny. I may take you up on this if my local search doesn’t pan out.

December 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

• No prob. I know Oak Cliff Bicycle Co. is a Velo Orange dealer and I believe Switching Gears is too – they can probably order it for you.

jennyrilling

December 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm

4. just fyi…any place that you can place a single leg kickstand, you can place a pletscher double leg…I also have one in my parts bin at the moment that I pulled off of an old specialized rockhopper that was doing city duty…if you want to give it a try just shoot me a line…

thomas

December 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm

• Thanks for the info and the offer. I may take you up on this as well. Cheers.

December 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm