Been Tooling Around Town

I prefer riding in the summer over the winter. Give me a 100+ degree day over any below 40. I’ve come to this conclusion by the simple fact that I’ve been finding it harder and harder to get motivated to ride this month – not a problem in August.

I hate bundling, layering and covering – just to not be comfortable. I dislike the thicker air which is harder to breathe. I loath the wind that still cuts through me because of something I might have left exposed. The shorter winter days make me feel cheated – I get the sense of losing out on time, as well as valuable visibility.

Don’t get me wrong. Summer days are no picnic either. But, if I had to choose – bring on the heat.

I do get out there when I can. Even though most of my rides are short and uneventful – all within a few miles of my house – I do find some interesting things:

Santa’s Village in Richardson

Santa's Village - Richardson, Texas

New statue for the Friends of the Library – Richardson:

FOL Statue

December 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

1. I’m with you Richard. My bikes get hung up once the temp drops to a certain level.

Jay

December 12, 2011 at 7:12 am

2. I think you need to get one of those viking beard balaclavas.

Jenny R.

December 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

• Ha. I’ve been thinking about one of those since I can’t grow a proper beard.

Just waiting on the Groupon, I guess. 😉

December 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

• PS, that windbreaker really changed my life in terms of being able to tolerate and enjoy cycling in the cold. I don’t think you would regret getting it. REI outlet is having a discount every day on different types of gear, and tomorrow is cycling so maybe there will be an additional savings on those.

Jenny R.

December 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

• I’m glad that works for you. I’ve got a windbreaker, but it’s not designed for cycling which means I’m getting the occasional backdraft as I reach for my handlebars.

For me, it’s tough gauging how much warmer that I’m going to get, so I never know how much to layer. On top of that, the face, wrists, ankles and legs suffer. I’ve got tights for the legs, but hate to wear them. Jeans are ok, but cotton isn’t the best for cold weather. Most wearable, cold-weather pants that I like are a bit too pricy for me.

December 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

• I was told this morning, “You keep wearing that jacket, you lookin’ dangerous.” (???)

jennyrilling

December 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

3. I’d love to be in the 40s.

Rob

December 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm

4. Well, when hell freezes over, I’ll ride there, too. Just sayin’

December 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm