What Would You Buy With A $12,000 Bike Budget

I got a preview of the new RADIOSHACK NISSAN TREK team bike which is going for the low price of $11,686.48. It’s their ‘flagship 6 Series that embodies all the qualities a pro-tour rider demands: precise steering, instant acceleration, long-ride comfort, hand-built quality, and personal customization.’

I thought to myself, I could buy a fleet of regular retail bikes (no custom builds) for this much money. I started to put together my fantasy garage list if I had that kind of bike budget. I was surprised at how quickly I reached it.

Here is my current (ever-changing) list:
Raleigh Record Ace – MSRP: $1,799
Redline Metro Classic – MSRP: $1,100
Cooper Bikes T100 Sebring – MSRP: $1,175
Redline Urbis – MSRP: $550
Civia Loring – MSRP: $1,395
Dahon Mu Uno – MSRP: $600
Rivendell Sam Hillborne – MSRP: $1,500
Hampsten Travelissimo II – MSRP: $3,200

TOTAL: $11,319

Yes, it’s an odd list that doesn’t show much variety. And sure, there are lots of handmade and custom bike options out there – that’s a completely different blog post for me.

What about you? What bikes would you get if you had a $12,000 budget?

January 7, 2012 at 7:36 am

1. Oddly, I can’t think of $12000 I’d spend on bike. Could it be used for bike causes?

January 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

• Quite frankly, there about about 12,000 other things I could spend $12,000 on – including a good bike cause. This post was a fantasy list based on spending that kind of money on a bike or bikes. There are probably two bikes on that list that I would really find a true use for.

January 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

2. Nice picks. Here’s my list:

Mercian Vincitore – $5,000
    Bella Ciao Neorealista, 7 speed IGH – $1,500?
    Surly Big Dummy – $1,985
    Raleigh Port Townsend -$900
    VO Polyvalent 650B – $1,245
    Specialized Stumpjumper 1982 – $500?
    Rivendell Bosco Rubbe – NOT!!!

Total: $11,130

jennyrilling

January 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

• That Mercian Vincitore is a beautiful bike. It’s like a rolling work of art.

January 7, 2012 at 11:51 pm

• Yep, one I wouldn’t be too afraid to ride, unlike those Columbine bicycles.

jennyrilling

January 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

3. An extra set of Jack Browns, a couple of Acorn bags, a ticket to Galway and a whole lot of gorp and cheese.

kfg

January 8, 2012 at 1:54 am

4. Assuming I can’t spend any of it on boat or camera stuff, I’d buy a $2,000 bike and take it on a $10,000 trip.

crab

January 8, 2012 at 10:51 am

• Precisely my point, and I already have the bike.

kfg