Back To My Work Commute

First 2012 Work Commute Panda

Baby steps. Last year, my simple goal was to bike commute the equivalent to a full tank of gas. For me that was around 360 miles. Those miles couldn’t include any riding done for fun or recreation, but rather only miles that I replaced a car trip with a bike. Also, if for any reason, I needed a car to ‘rescue’ me from being stranded, those miles didn’t count either. Fortunately, that didn’t happen.

Well, I reached my goal with an extra 100 miles on top. Not bad, with it being one of the hottest and driest  summers in north Texas. Of course that’s nothing compare to the thousands of miles true bike commuters put on their yearly ride – but for this ol’ car driver, it was an accomplishment.

This year, my goal is to double my effort, where I plan to ride enough to replace two tanks of gas. I got my first commute in yesterday, which was an earlier start than last year. Hopefully, my work schedule will give me enough time to keep up a good momentum.

April 20, 2012 at 6:11 am

Posted in Commuting

Tagged with ,

1. Let’s go commuting!! I comute every day!

Paulo Rafael

April 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

2. How many days per week do you commute on the bike, and how long does it take?

jennyrilling

April 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

• Last year it was once or twice (mostly once) per week. It usually takes me an hour of moving time and about 15 minutes for stop lights and stop signs. The distance is 13.5 miles each way.

For me the biggest hurdle is time. My hours are so unpredictable that I can’t always make the time for the bike commute. I can only do it if I’m certain my workload is light.

April 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm

3. You GO, guy!

April 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

4. Love hearing this! Here’s some reasons to keep you motivated! http://aconsciouslife.com.au/on-ya-bike-series-1/

SJ

April 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

5. […] reminded that it had just started a few days ago.  My true riding season started at the end of April. Share this:Like this:LikeOne blogger likes […]

6. […] after easily reaching that goal, I decided to double it for this year. Starting in late April, my new goal was to replace the distance of 2 tanks of gasoline (720 miles) with bicycling. […]