US Post Office Bike Stamps Are Available

US Bike Stamps - Front

They are FINALLY HERE! The U.S. Post Office has released their new series of stamps that celebrate the BICYCLE. We’ve been waiting on these for almost a year. Even the original release got pushed from May (which would have been perfect for National Bike Month) to this month.

You can pick up a sheet of 20 stamps for $9, while supplies last at select post offices.

There are 4 different stamps in the series, the first represents our childhood, the next represents commuters (or rather, as pointed out in the comments, touring), the third represents road cycling and the last represents off-road (mountain or BMX) cycling. It’s a pretty good range, but misses some of the other, urban bike cultures like the messengers, the fixies and the cycle chic crowd. I would like to have seen at least one more non-sport themed stamp. Perhaps there’s room for another series.

Speaking of other stamp series, here is my wish list for more bike stamps:
– Vintage Bikes
– Classic Head Tube Badges
– Velo Cities – Copenhagen, Davis, Portland, Madison, Boulder, etc.
– Bicycle Component Illustrations
– Heritage Bike Races or race heroes
– Tweed Ride

US Bike Stamps - 1

US Bike Stamps - 2

US Bike Stamps - 3

US Bike Stamps - 4

US Bike Stamps - Back

June 14, 2012 at 5:27 am

1. That does not look like any commuter I’ve ever seen. Double panniers? IMO, none of the stamps show bikes as transport. Still nice, but I want to see a Big Dummy loaded up or a Brompton.

June 14, 2012 at 7:17 am

2. You can also buy them online: Click Here

June 14, 2012 at 8:23 am

3. People still use stamps… I had no idea! Might have to go pick some of these up though and frame them or something.

Rob

June 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

4. I think Jenny is right, but wanted to cut USPS some slack. I’d sure hate to lug four panniers from the bike rack and up the stairs. I suspect I’d do such a thing once and leave the camping gear at home thereafter.

June 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

5. I got gifted with these as well. They are very nice, indeed!

Chandra