BMW Sells Bicycles

BMW Bikes

We were at a BMW dealership this weekend – for a non-bike related event. They host a monthly Cars and Coffee event and my wife loves to shoot pics of old cars. As we were leaving the event, I spied a couple of BMW cruiser bicycles in their show room – I had to take a closer look.

First, let me say, BMW isn’t the first auto manufacturer to offer up bicycles in their ‘lifestyle’ collection and this isn’t the first bicycle offered by BMW. It’s all about making the after-sale, sale with branded products and parts. Being brand loyal myself, I completely understand how people get obsessed seeing their favorite logos on clothing and accessories – and paying top dollar for them.

BMW Bikes

I found it ironic that a German car company that obsesses on perfection in engineering, can stick their logo on something so sub-par (please note that I didn’t test ride them and that this judgement is made by observation). At first glance, you can see that the bikes are well made. However, on closer inspection, I noticed that the drivetrain was built around a Shimano Alivio 24-speed Derailleur. Now, I know Shimano doesn’t make bad products, but I feel that if BMW is going to ask $1200 for a hybrid type cruiser bike, they should – at least – stick some mid-range components on it. Quite frankly, given the brand, I’m surprised they didn’t just put some high end components on a carbon framed bicycle and charge accordingly.

Oh wait, they did.

Personally, I think they should stop wasting their time on bicycles and just bring back the classic 2002:

P001

August 6, 2012 at 6:16 am

1. Cars & Coffee is always lots of fun to go to.. we should do a bike ride there when the weather is cooler!

I don’t think it’s uncommon for any of the luxury brands to slap their logo on sub-par accessories. You’d think they would have better care and concern for their accessories, but sadly not. Maybe Apple needs to get into the car business. 😉

Eliot

August 6, 2012 at 7:26 am

• I had actually done a ride up there a couple years back, and it was fun. We should do it. I also wouldn’t mind seeing a ‘Bikes and Coffee’ event – where folks bring out their classic or uniques bikes to show off.

August 8, 2012 at 5:15 am

2. I suppose there is a market for anything, as long as the logo is right.

Chandra

August 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

3. I have not seen one on the streets in the UK but I was at the Olympic rowing venue last week and all the bikes ridden by the rowing coaches along the bank of the rowing lake are these BMW bicycles in white. If you have seen any of the rowing on TV you will have seen groups of them keeping pace with the boats …. there are hundreds of them available for the teams. Perhaps they are not selling?

David Woodcock

August 8, 2012 at 2:07 am

• I haven’t seen them on the road or trails either. Then again, these seem more like an afterthought than a sought-after bike of an enthusiast. If they’re selling, they’re spending most of their time hung up in some garage.

August 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

4. Perhaps you would like to drop into the Beautiful Suburbs of Hell and discuss infrastructure some time? I found your site through BikePortland.

Opus the Poet