Stupid Rain

DO NOT ENTER

Before I get too far into this, I want you to know that I actually LOVE rain. We don’t get much of it during the summer in north Texas, so any little bit is more than welcome.

That doesn’t stop me from being a whiny baby about it, especially when it comes during my ride times. Sure, I ride my bike in the rain all the time – but I don’t like it. I don’t like the lack of control or visibility. I don’t like the discomfort it brings when I’m not prepared. I’ll stick it out if it’s a sprinkle, but if the clouds seem threatening, I’ll seek cover and pass on the ride.

Storm Coming

Another Storm

Being the selfish bastard that I am, I’ll go through a series of emotions ranging from anger, sadness, disappointment and even a slight depression – all just for missing out on a ride. These are some of the same emotions that I go through during the winter months, when I ride less frequently. It’s hard to describe, but if you really enjoy riding, I hope you would understand.

Suburban River

These emotions come over me in twice. The first is an immediate reaction to the foul weather and having to cancel out on something that you were anticipating. Any parent would know this feeling, not  getting enough private time with their spouse. The second is how I feel towards myself for giving up on the ride. Lots of people in rainy climates ride in this all the time, without thinking twice about it. Why the heck can’t I cycle-up (I dislike the term ‘man-up’) and get out in it? I feel like a big ol’plate of FAIL.

Then I remember days like this:

More Road Rash

Ouch!

I suppose we all pick our battles and I guess mine is the Texas heat. I really don’t mind cycling in 100+ degree temperatures. What’s funny, is that when I’m riding on those days, all I do is wish for rain.

August 25, 2012 at 7:15 am

Posted in General Cycling, Misc

Tagged with ,

1. I don’t mind rain too much. I spent about 2 hours in it this morning, but most of the ride was under cloudy skies. All in all a great ride. When I did take cover during the lightning session, I cheered myself with the thoughts of my house finally getting some moisture. When I arrived back home, it was obvious that no rain fell there. Stupid rain.

Pondero

August 25, 2012 at 11:34 am

• Ha. You are so right, Chris. The rain never seems to be where it’s needed the most. I hope you get some soon.

August 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm

2. Riding in the rain, while daunting at first thought. Once you accept that it is just water, just remember that you use the same stuff to get clean all the time. A few items to help you prepare and you are ready to go. Fenders, the full kind, not those half type or mountain type that do nothing to keep you, and those around you, clean and dry. Don’t forget the mud flap on the front fender. Lights, even during the “daylight” hours, in the rain, as noted, visibility is reduced. A water proof bag helps keep your stuff dry. A rain jacket goes a long way to making things more comfortable. Wool is always good to keep you warm, even if you get wet. Be mindful to not overdress or you will end up a sweaty mess.

Loss of control is a more mental thing, the contact patch your tires makes with the ground generally precludes hydroplaning at speeds less than 100 mph on pavement. An street tire or slick actually work well in the rain. I would not go taking corners too fast, or trying crazy stuff on dirt or gravel but general riding is not really effected.

You pick up more junk from the road with wet tires. Stuff that doesn’t cause problem in the dry, like small glass pieces, suddenly cause flats. Don’t ride through any puddles you can’t see the bottom of, could easily be a pothole. I would avoid riding in lightning, rain with strong winds, torrential down-pours, or a hurricane/wind storm. But a ride in the rain is very calming, the rain dampens the sounds around you and brings it own sound track of soft patters and drips.

Michael Yoder

August 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm

• Great information, Michael. Very motivational and inspirational. Hope all is well with you.

August 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm

3. It is lightning I dislike!

August 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm

• Agreed. Sprinkles, mist, even a steady, light rain is fine. However, those infamous Texas thunderstorms are better enjoyed from indoors.

August 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm

4. Hope the injuries are not new!
    Rain is good, but like you say thunderstorms can be tricky to ride in.
    Ride safe!!
    Peace 🙂

Chandra

August 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

5. […] When you become a bike rider, you quickly learn the importance of keeping an eye on the weather. You never want to get caught in a Texas thunderstorm. Unlike my days living in the northwest – where the rain is frequent, consistently light and often drizzly – rain is rare in north Texas during the summer. But when it comes, it comes hard – usually with lightning and rolling thunder. It’s very intimidating, when you’re on a bike and typically avoided – especially by me. […]