Bike Share Comes To North Texas – Fort Worth

Untitled

It was quite a while ago, when I first heard about bike sharing. My first thought was, that’ll never come to north Texas – it just doesn’t make sense with our suburban sprawl. Well, Fort Worth proved me wrong.

Partnered with a company called B-Cycle, Fort Worth Bike Sharing is a nonprofit organization in charge of operations for the city’s bike share system. The concept began in the planning department at the Fort Worth Transportation Authority, which received a grant from the Federal Transit Administration to help cover the costs. On this past Earth Day, April 22,2013, they launched the first bike sharing program in north Texas.

All together, they have 300 bikes available at 27 check-out stations set up around town – with plans to add more stations.

I didn’t get a chance to ride one of the bikes while I was out there, but I hope to get a another opportunity in the near future. Hopefully, the stations will be a great success and more of them will pop up – even in Dallas.

You can find out more on their website, FortWorthBikeSharing.org and Facebook page.

Fort Worth Bike Share

June 17, 2013 at 7:25 am

1. This honestly upsets me. As an employee at a local civil engineering firm, and being involved in the local sustainability politics, I brought this idea up to Mayor Betsy Price some time ago. She showed some interest and then passed me along to one of her planner minions, who responded to a single email and then ceased all communication. Now, over a year later, the city is rolling out their wonderful bike share program. Be careful sharing your ideas, folks!

Justin Moeller

June 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm

• Sorry to hear that, Justin. I’ve been told by others to only share ideas that you are willing to give away – especially with government officials. In the world of politics, they’re only as good as the policies and ideas they put forth – even if they’re stollen or borrowed.

Thank you for getting the ball rolling with them.

June 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm

2. Justin, what were expecting in return, money, fame or what? Bike sharing has been around for a long time just not here. You don’t think the transportation dept. found out about it on their own and not just from you? I give out ideas everyday, no big deal. It’s called giving advice and people do it all the time. I am just happy the city did this.

Brad Sloan

June 18, 2013 at 7:24 am

• I was never expecting any monetary gain or headline news stories, I was passionate about the cause and I simply wanted to be involved in the planning process, having a professional career in public transportation infrastructure and being the cycling advocate for the USGBC – North Texas I felt I had a lot to offer, beyond the initial idea. I’m happy that the city implemented this, albeit after I moved out of Fort Worth. I’ve never been a fan of politics!

Justin Moeller

June 18, 2013 at 9:11 am

• The City didn’t implement this program, the FW Transportation Authority did (The T). And there are a lot of people who have a lot to offer to governments of all levels, but often time it is hard with the resources available and the bureaucracy in place to easily integrate volunteers (from a minion staff level) into the existing heavy work load. Any government is that way, as I’ve learned. And yes, politics are crummy and that’s a crummy way to do business but it’s reality 😦 (I must confess to be a gov’t insider).

Doooodad